Thursday 27 November 2014

The one thing we wanted to read before we leave ... and how it is ruining us.

In August, our life group (small group Bible study) leaders asked us if we had any specific studies we wanted to do before we leave the country. Marcel and I kind of looked at each other and shrugged ... we said, "We'll think about it."

Truthfully, we didn't do a ton of research. But at our church, certain names and books get used a lot, and we thought, "Hey, neither of us has studied 'Desiring God' by John Piper ... and we've heard good things. Let's do that."

So here we are ... studying John Piper's classic series, "Desiring God". And by God's grace, it was definitely the right study we needed.

It is NOT easy to digest. I wouldn't call it a book for the faint-hearted. It is taking everything I've ever known about what it means to be a Christian, what it means to love others and love God, what it means to have joy ... and cranks it up a notch.

But the study two weeks ago... that was the kicker. John Piper, who is already SUCH a COMPELLING speaker, broke down this verse: Philippians 1:21, "For to live is Christ and to die is gain."

I've never had an easy time with this verse. I was highly motivated to come to Christ when I was younger because I was scared to die. And if I'm honest, I'm still a little scared. Yet, Paul says, to die is far better ...

So I prayed about it, talked to God about it, thought about it. And of course, I know it is true. What could be better than eternal rest from our toils and a life of pure, fulfilled joy in Christ's presence? Those brief moments before death are nothing compared to what comes after. And nothing compared to the glory God will get out of a life lived with overflowing joy in Him, that comes to an end with an excitement to meet Him and fullfill that joy. Oh man ... this is the prayer for my life as we move in to long-term missions ... "God, may I always find my joy in you. And may it overflow in such abundance to the people around me."

So ... if you want a good book, it's not about missions per se, but it's definitely a must-read. Be warned: it might (it SHOULD) ruin you ... in a good way. It should ruin your apathy, it should ruin your lukewarm relationship with God.  In the meantime, I recommend reading some of John Piper's stuff on the Desiring God website: www.desiringgod.org.

--Kelly




No comments:

Post a Comment