Tuesday 29 April 2014

Faith Like a Child


Maybe it was the music from the organ ...

Maybe it was being back in my old room in Blenheim ...

Maybe it was listening to old CDs as I drove back to London ...

Whatever it was, I was drawn back to my childhood today to a specific memory. Me--12 or 13 years old. Sitting on my bed, in my bedroom, pulling down a sheet of lyrics from my bulletin board. The lyrics are for "Here I am to Worship"--a song I had just learned at Gregory Drive Alliance Youth Group and had been so moved by the lyrics that I asked for a copy of the music.

I am sitting on my bed, tears streaming down my face, singing to Jesus, "Here I am to worship, here I am to bow down, here I am to say that you're my God."

Why was I crying? Why was I so moved? I knew NOTHING of pain, really. I knew nothing of the horrors of this world. Life was easy, save for the regular every day troubles of a child.

Yet there was something so gripping about Jesus. I didn't have to be a criminal to feel the weight of my sins. I didn't have to be an adult, or even have a high school education to understand the simple truth of the gospel--that Christ died on the cross and to give us peace with God.

That peace has gripped me every day since. Day after day after day ... even now I could switch on a firehose of tears in an instant. Christ ... died ... for ... me. "No guilt in life, no fear in death."

Yep ... that's what I thought about today. And you know what? Some days I really wish I could go back in time, just to have that PURE faith like a child for a few moments. How precious that faith is!





No comments:

Post a Comment