Saturday 17 October 2015

Challenges, Portuguese, Spiritual Leaders, and Neighbours

Yesterday was overwhelming in so many good ways ... that I felt inclined to blog as soon as possible, before it all faded away with the start of yet another day in our new normal.

Yesterday ... where do I start. It was a great day, but not because it was easy. It was challenging, life-giving, and mentally draining.

I met Maria, our single mother neighbour who cares for two beautiful children, Eddie and Latinha. Timid and, doubtless, living in dire poverty, she cooed over Ethan while I played with Eddie. But what do two young mothers talk about who live so close and yet come from two totally different worlds? Not only that, but two different languages? Children and being a mother, I guess. We sat with Tio Loorindo, our incredibly humble, funny, and hard-working guard. He is so eager to learn English and has been so helpful in making us at home in Lubango.

Later, I wandered down the street while Ethan napped, and brought our beautiful illustrated Portuguese-English dictionary with me. I found a few neighbours I had previously met, and we poured over the book, talking about my dislike of birds, favourite animals, and the danger of scorpions. All in Portuguese. It was one of those moments I could never have pictured in my future ... until now.

Our empregada, who comes to clean the house, came for the first time yesterday. Yet again, my Portuguese was challenged as I showed her how to use our fancy washing machine and we sat all together and ate lunch, making small talk and laughing at Ethan's attempts to eat the table.

I needed a nap after all of this. Then, the afternoon brought a party of all the MAF staff celebrating our arrival in Angola. If I thought I was home free to speak English the rest of the day, I was wrong. Almost 24 people sat and shared cake, "salgados" (little Portuguese pastries filled with meat), Cokes, games, and a report on the future of MAF Angola. And almost everyone there was a national--except ourselves and two other missionary families. Our guards, the office staff, and the hangar staff, all in one place, and it was a party! Our quiet guards became animated when we played the dice game (my sisters know this game ... it's competitive) and BINGO. It was a hoot. Adelino shared some sort of hilarious, animated story that Marcel and I completely missed the meaning of, but everyone else laughed hysterically. Ze fell through one of the chairs and there wasn't a dry eye we were laughing so hard. A few of the staff gave us wisdom for adjusting to life in Angola that I will forever cherish--the most simple, and profound of which was to pray always, and constantly. Give it up to God.

Finally, our day ended off in the most Canadian way possible: pizza and Settlers of Catan with excellent company. We needed that. My heart was full as Ethan played with Judah and Salome, the children of another Dutch MAF family. It was past his bed time--and yet he didn't cry. He was too absorbed in watching the older kids play with him and his toys. Later, they tucked into bed all in the same room until our game was done. I won.

This morning, I woke up surprisingly well rested. I actually found time to open my bible and pray BEFORE breakfast. I am reading Hebrews, and I'm in chapter 13. This verse stuck out to me (verse 7): Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith. It stuck out to me as I struggle daily to discern how I will serve here in Angola. Am I called to teach at the missions school? Do I carry on the work of our neighbour Tammy, who is teaching the staff English? Is there some sort of meaningful way I can get involved in the neighbourhood with the neighbourhood kids? I don't know ... but this verse reminded me to think like and look to the leaders in my life, and put myself in their shoes. What would Graham do? What about Angela or Dave? My parents? Marcel's parents? Or the new leaders I've met here in Angola? Uncle Steve? Tammy and Gary? What would they do?

As I thought of these people, and the faith they have, the way they live their lives, I was greatly encouraged. In this world I am not alone. We are not alone. Not only do we have the Creator of the Universe who knows us personally and walks with us minute by minute, but we are also surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses. I don't know what the future holds for us in Angola ... but I need not worry or fear. Instead, I will pray, watch, learn, and imitate the faith of those many witnesses around me. Because of them, I--we-- have the courage to soar.


Party in our backyard! 
Playing BINGO (good practice for numbers in Portuguese)
The crazy, wild dice game where our quiet staff became incredibly animated and competitive!
Honoured by this amazing cake ... and amazing staff.
Ethan making friends with Tchavuka (I know he doesn't look happy, but he was a few seconds before)
Because of so many people ... we have the courage to soar! (Had to add this one ... it's just too cute!)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks very much for your blog, so good to read and the Lord will show you what will be your role their beside taking care of Ethan and Marcel, God Bless you all

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you as you find your fit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you as you find your fit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading about your amazing adventures as you embark on this fantastic new chapter of your lives. Thanks for sharing and including such detail so we feel like you're not so far away and we can still be involved!! Anything you choose to do will be a blessing to anyone around you Kelly. Wishing you three well. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete